History

 
The Manly Lota Scout Group was formed in 1938, and by 1943 was under the youthful leadership of Leo Hansen. The Group used to meet in the shed at the back of Scout Master (S.M.) Hansen's house in Oceana Terrace.
 
 

Emu Patrol
Back (left to right): Alister Davidson,
Gregory Turner, Bruce Bradford,
Ron Cox and Jim Brown
Front: Teddy Corbie, Percy Healy
and Frank Edie

 
 
 
 
 
Ron Cox in 1946

Ron (left) was one of the early members of the Group. He became a King's Scout in September, 1947.

Ron donated a large number of photographs in the Group's collection, including many of the photographs of the opening of the first den, Air Raid Shelter 228, on 29 November 1947.

In 1947, after nine years meeting in the shed, the Manly Lota Group was granted the use of Air Raid Shelter 228 by the Council (right). The site was originally an old quarry.

The  bicycle in the foreground was a "Silver Arrow" and belonged to one of the Patrol Leaders, Neil Cavanough.

 

 

 

The Den Opening - 29th November, 1947. The Scouts attending (left to right): Assistant Scout Master (A.S.M.) Bradford, Patrol Leader Healy, Scout Moxley, Troop Leader Cox, Patrol Leader Cavanough, Scout Rogers, Group Scout Master Levy, Scout Master Hansen and Alderman Howard.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments